Every day, our office receives phone calls and email inquiries from companies asking about drawback. To help quantify those prospects, our staff has several questions that they will typically ask, which allows us to identify the potential drawback types and refund opportunities for the inquirer. We thought it would be helpful to share these questions with you, so that if you call or email us, you are already prepared with the answers that are needed to quickly move forward with developing your drawback program.
Our main questions are:
- What types of products do you import and where are they imported from?
- How much duty do you typically pay in a calendar year on imported products?
- What foreign countries are the products exported to?
- Is the product exported in the same condition in which it was imported, or are the products processed, manufactured, or altered while they are in the U.S.?
- How much of the imported product is then exported out of the country?
- Have you filed duty drawback entries previously and have any approvals from CBP? If so, for what types of drawback?
- Are you able to provide import and export data electronically?
Determining drawback opportunities is a common challenge for many potential claimants, but the answers to the above questions will help guide a productive conversation between you and a Comstock / Holt representative. This will enable us to better assess your drawback opportunities and potential in an efficient manner. The conversation will still be key because the above only provides a snapshot of your current drawback-related activities. As you review and complete the above, please reach out to us if you have questions and to get the conversation started.